At least six protesters arrested after hanging banner from Statue of Liberty

Police: Newspaper gunman planned deadly attack carefully

WATCH LIVE: Woman climbs base of Statue of Liberty in New York

Okoumou made the 20-foot climb from the public observation deck, the National Park Service said.

A woman was arrested after climbing onto the base of the Statue of Liberty and remaining there for three hours. But the group says no one else was aware she would climb the base. But her climb was not part of the planned protest and was done without the group's knowledge, Quinn said. National Park Service spokesman Jerry Willis says federal code of regulations prohibits hanging banners from the monument.

The climber was among about 40 demonstrators who earlier unfurled a banner calling for abolishing the federal government's chief immigration enforcement agency, said Jay W. Walker, an organizer with Rise and Resist, which arranged the demonstration. Rise and Resist New York said, "The Climber on the Statue of Liberty has no connection to our #abolishice action earlier today". After much outrage, President Donald Trump signed an executive order to end this policy (even though it's his administration that enacted it in the first place), but this action hasn't helped reunite all of the about 2,000 families torn apart.

Okoumou allegedly "staged a risky stunt that alarmed the public and endangered her own life and the lives of the (New York Police Department) officers who responded to the scene", U.S. Attorney Geoffrey S. Berman said in a statement. "In the beginning, she threatened to push us off, push the ladder off, but we stayed with her", Glacken said.

Court papers also charged Okoumou with resisting arrest by refusing to leave her perch by the bottom of the statue's robes, about 100 feet (30 meters) above ground.

Trump plans to hold talks with Putin "tete-a-tete"
Other accusations on Moscow include meddling the 2016 U.S. elections in favor of Trump including other Western states. According to Russian media reports, Lavrov lately met with a USA lawmakers delegation on Trump-Putin meeting.

On June 28, hundreds of women activists marched from Washington D.C.'s Freedom Plaza to Capitol Hill to protest Trump's "zero tolerance" policy and to call for ICE to be abolished.

The island was evacuated while police tried to get the woman down. At first, she put up a struggle with police officers.

Officials say the Island was evacuated and all visitors were taken off by ferry. For almost two hours, she crossed the base of the statue, at times sitting in the folds of the statue's dress and under Lady Liberty's sandal.

At one point, she told authorities that she would only come down when parents are reunited with all migrant children separated due to a Trump administration policy that was reversed last month in response to domestic and worldwide outrage.

Latest News