Conor McGregor defends UFC 223 melee as coach launches a scathing attack

Conor McGregor

New York police have confirmed Conor Mc Gregor has been charged with assault and criminal mischief Credit Conor Mc Gregor Getty Images

Video footage appears to show the promotion's most bankable star throwing a hand truck at a bus full of fighters after a news conference for UFC 223 at Brooklyn's Barclays Center.

The MMA superstar is facing multiple charges after violently attacking a bus at UFC 223 Media Day in Brooklyn, N.Y., on Thursday.

UFC fighter Conor McGregor was released from police custody on Friday after being arraigned on charges from Thursday's bus attack. His next court date was set for June 14.

McGregor can be seen hitting the bus that the fighters were on board where he is verbally abusive and can be seen throwing a dolly at the bus window and subsequently smashes it. UFC is working very closely with the New York Athletic Commission, Barclays Center security and law enforcement authorities. The two lightweights may have had their titles stripped at UFC 223, but neither was defeated while in possession of their belts.

"In the history of the UFC, this is definitely the worst thing that has happened", UFC president Dana White said. He appeared to be trying to get main event fighter Khabib Nurmagomedov off the bus after an incident involving Nurmagomedov and McGregor teammate Artem Lobov earlier in the week.

Chiesa's coach, Rick Little, describes the rampage saying he felt as if "they got jumped". Cowley has been charged with one count of assault and one count of criminal mischief, according to police. "I don't know if he's on drugs or what his deal is, but to come here and do this and to act this like, you know, you're talking about a guy who has a baby", White said. McGregor and his pals fled the scene afterwards, but he later turned himself in.

Barcelona set to break La Liga record
Barcelona will have the chance to own that record outright next time out when they welcome Valencia to Camp Nou on Saturday. And this was yet another display of the Argentinean's brilliance, with Barcelona once again dependent on their number 10.

"Conor and I talked through text yesterday", White said during an appearance on First Things First. McGregor responded on Twitter not long after with a profane tweet that said, in part, you will "strip me of nothing".

He last fought in a UFC bout in November 2016, when he defeated Eddie Alvarez to win the lightweight belt.

Conor McGregor and Cian Cowley are arraigned in Brooklyn Criminal Court, 06-04-2018.

The UFC's best-known athlete and an worldwide drawcard McGregor, 29, appeared before a judge at the Kings County Criminal Court, dressed in a blue, long-sleeved shirt that hid his trademark tattoos.

He previously told Reuters he made an eye-watering $US140 million ($A196 million) from last August's boxing match with Floyd Mayweather.

Latest News